Do you have an idea about the number of articles published on the web every day?
Each month, 70 million blogs get posted on WordPress alone.
Each day, around 2.75 million posts are published on WordPress alone.
The monthly readership on the platform is 409 million blogs.
The average blog post contains 1150 words.
The average time spent by a user in a blog post is 16 seconds, which increases the bounce rate.
With having such a high competition over search engines it is difficult to rank your blog on the first page of search engines. And here comes the role of SEO.
Every time you must have thought…
What is SEO?
Why SEO is needed?
Why learning SEO is important?
What are the best SEO techniques to be used?
What are the tools to be used regularly for SEO?
Does SEO help you to rank your website?
What is page speed and how does it matter?
How long does it take to rank your website through SEO?
If you are finding answers to all the above questions, then this article is for you…
So let’s start
From being in a relationship to building a healthy relationship it requires a little time. Similar is the case of SEO, from performing SEO to having a successful SEO strategy.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for “search engine optimization”. In simple terms, SEO helps you to drive organic traffic to your website by increasing the visibility on search engines, without spending any extra amount on advertising. It helps you to gain more prospects for your website when you rank higher on the search results.
Why SEO is important?
When it’s been a long time posting or writing an article on your blog and you are still unable to rank your website on the first page of search engines. You must have thought why it’s not ranking on the first page. The things you might be doing are:
- Not looking at your competitor’s website who is providing better content than you.
- Not using keywords properly
- Using poor link building practices
- Your website is loading slow
- Your website doesn’t provide a good experience to your users
- Your website may not be indexed yet in the search engines.
How does SEO work?
This is the question which people ask most often, search engine’s target is to provide the best experience to their users. Search engines use various techniques so that they can provide the most relevant search results for its user. In order to provide the best services to users search engines follow three steps:
Crawling: Crawling is a technique through which search engines scan your website to understand the content you have created and the purpose of it. Search engines also search for all other relevant content it has and how do they find this? Search engines have a follow link and then they store it in the search engine index.
Indexing: After crawling the website, search engines store the content in it by indexing. If the content is not indexed in the search engines, then the users won’t be able to find your website as the content is not present in the search engine’s database. The indexing helps users to find your content on search engines through search results.
Ranking: As the content gets indexed in search engines, your webpage or your content will be ranked in search engines. Whenever a user searches for something on search engines, the most relevant content will appear on search results, these results will vary over a lot of factors. These factors can be based on user location, language, user experience, etc. Other factors can be:
- The total time is taken by page in loading (Page load time)
- The time spent by the user on the website (Average session duration)
- The user leaves a webpage without taking any action (Bounce Rate)
- Is the user visiting the website again? (Based on content)
What are the types of SEO?
There are two types of SEO:
- On-page: It is also known as ‘on-site’. It is a practice which helps you in optimizing your webpages to improve your ranking in search engine results page (commonly known as SERPs) and drive organic traffic. Things you should consider on-page are:
- Header Tag
- Meta Description
- Title Tag
- Keyword Research
- Keyword Usage
- Internal Links
- Site Maps
- Off-page: it is also known as ‘off-site’. It is a practice that helps you to drive traffic to your website to increase your ranking on search engine ranking via referral links on social media or through other websites. This practice helps search engines to improve the perception of your website and will help in increasing the relevance, authority, trustworthiness, and popularity of the website. Things ‘off-page’ helps your website with:
· Increasing the traffic to your website
· Increasing the domain authority
· Helping build credibility
· Helping increase your priority in the search engine result pages
· It will help you to create brand awareness across various platforms
Techniques that can be used in off-page SEO are:
· Guest Posting
· Content Marketing
· Social Media
· Google My Business
· Influencer Marketing
What are the techniques used in SEO?
There are two types of techniques used in SEO:
- White Hat
- Black Hat
- Grey Hat
- White Hat: This technique helps you to increase the credibility of your website. This helps you to increase ranking in the search engine results page(SERPs) as this uses the search engine friendly techniques. Some of the white hat techniques are:
- Providing quality content to its users
- Using content related keywords
- Using rich keywords in title and meta description
- Should have a well-structured mark-up language
- Website or page loads fast
- Navigate to the website easily
- Black Hat: This technique decreases the credibility of your website and will decrease the ranking in the search engine results page(SERPs) or may even get banned by search engines, as this uses wrong techniques or may have misrepresentation. Some of the black hat techniques are:
- Hidden text or links
- Spam comments
- Duplicate Content
- Article Spinning
- Doorway Pages
- Keyword Stuffing
- Grey Hat: This is a technique that is a mix of both techniques that is, it uses the white hat and black hat techniques in a balanced proportion.
What is Page Speed? Why does it matter?
Page Speed is the loading time taken by your website on the user’s browser. This factor helps you to increase the ranking of your website on the search engine result page. If your website takes time in loading or your website is loading slow, it will increase the bounce rate. A bounce rate is the percentage of people who leave the website before taking any action.
A user makes a decision in the first few seconds, whether to continue with your website or not? And if your website takes more than 10 seconds to load, you will end up losing a lot of visitors to your website, as most visitors leave the website in the first 10 seconds. It is important for your website to load fast so you don’t end up losing visitors to your website.
Some of the tools that help you with SEO are:
- Uber suggest
- Google Analytics
- Google Search Autofill
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google PageSpeed Insights
- Google Search Console
So by now, you would have got a lot of information on SEO on how to rank your website in search engines and how to generate or drive more traffic to your website. Start implementing things to your blogs and see how your website will get on the first page of search engines.
Hope this guide has helped you in understanding the importance of SEO and you would have understood why it is so needed. Choose and use keywords wisely so that you can reach your target audience.
I have tried giving a brief overview of the vast subject of Search Engine Optimization in this article. Details of every particular topic will be covered in subsequent posts. Your questions, doubts, suggestions are more than welcome! Stay tuned.